Sunday, 17 April 2011

The Adjustment Bureau

This week Jessica and I were able to go on a date to the movies. We saw the 'Adjustment Bureau', a good movie all and all - beside the swearing I enjoyed it quite a bit. The movies idea is that we all have a predetermined plan and the adjustment bureau makes sure everything goes to plan.
In life some of us have this plan that we predetermine and seems like we must follow. I have always had such plans, but some have changed throughout time. A couple examples would be when I went on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints for 2 years- that was in my life plan, I am very grateful for making such a decision, but there came a time in my life where this plan looked like it was going to change. The challenge to this plan came when I was 16 and living in Scotland. I realized how very different I was to everyone else. Questions often popped into my head - Why wasn't I out clubbing and drinking like everyone else? Why don't I have a condom in my wallet like everyone else? Why don't I try any drugs? Am I niave and missing the 'joys' of life?
As a member of the mormon church I was taught those 'joys' were wrong, but were they? I was not yet prepared to abandon all my standards that I worked so hard to keep on a few thoughts. I knew that our church believed to ask God and He will tell you the truth, so I decided if this church and beliefs are true I will stick with it, but if not I would not be apart of it. So I asked God on a daily basis if the things I was taught was true and told him of my predicament. About the third week into studying and praying, I found myself reading the Book of Mormon and a feeling came over me - It's hard to describe - peace, joy, love and comfort - and when I was thinking this is new a thought came directly into my mind "this is your answer". From then on many spiritual experiences have followed, but this was the first building block of my testimony. I am glad I never 'adjusted' from the beginnings of this testimony which has grown.
One experience in life that I have adjusted from was the desire to become a business management consultant like my step father. In my second year in university I was sitting in a philosophy class and discovered something: I don't like sitting at a desk, I enjoy working with my hands and had very little desire of working with a pen for the rest of my life. It was a hard decision because that was a part of the 'plan'. The plan was comforting and easy to rely on. Having no plan was scary and was/is looked down on especially in the mormon culture. So I started the search for a new plan. It came about 6 months after this plan was shattered on the rocks of my mind. At a family reunion my uncle Randy who was the Fire Chief of the Edmonton Fire Department and he suggested I look into it. To be honest I adopted that plan with no real thought and would educate anyone who asked that that was my plan. As I started searching into firefighting (following my plan) I discovered that I actually would enjoy firefighting. It brought the hands on hard work, job security and good pension which I desire to raise a family on. The ongoing studying of the job itself solidfied in my mind that firefighting is the job for me! I now have all the qualifications for the fire department in edmonton and got all the way the interview (about last 150 out of 1000 applicants) on my first go! I recently reapplied and am feeling good about this next application process. It seems I have been blessed with support from other firefighters and am excited to get on. BUT a  few days ago my employer asked what it would take for me to commit to them for life. I enjoy my job and there are many opportunities. I enjoy the staff there, my job security, my overall living right now and would probably have more opportunities and income.

So the question is do I adjust once again my life goals/dreams? What would be better for My family? The money is not the question. Its the living quality for my family and myself. Who knows? One person does. I will go back to my source of knowledge- my God. Studying things out in my mind and heart and ask. He is there He will answer. I hope that I will always be willing to listen to Him - for anything He want to adjust in my life I know would be for my good.

1 comment: